These Caramel Double Dark Chocolate Brownies will be a for sure hit for any holiday party!
Christina with FoodApparel.com back to say hi. It’s cold outside and I’m finding every excuse I can to turn on the oven. It’s just so warm and cozy in the kitchen.
Well, me and the holiday spirit equate to chocolate and caramel basically in any form. Edible, drinkable. Are there other forms? If there are, I want. These are my two guiltiest foodie pleasures. And when they are good, I am in heaven.
One of the best days of my life (you know, besides meeting my fabulous husband, getting married, and the birth of my children! 😉 ) was discovering this fabulous combo of taking my favorite brownie recipe and combining it with my sister-in-law’s favorite homemade caramel recipe. Yes, heavenly indeed. You might just cry a little when you eat these, out of sheer happiness.
I love using a really high quality chocolate when I make these. It matters folks! Find your favorite artisan chocolate maker (if you need suggestions, I have a plenty – I love this recipe with two of my favorite locals – Amano or Solstice), or if you trying to stay in a lower budget range go Scharffenberger, Guittard, or Ghirardelli.
If you want to use our homemade caramel recipe, go here for the recipe. Or you can use another favorite recipe you have, or purchase a high quality caramel.
Oh, and did I mention that I am launching another website dedicated to ALL THINGS CHOCOLATE? Because I’m kind of cool like that (or you might call it obsessed – call it whatever you will). Seriously, me and chocolate go waaaaaaaay back. I love all things food but I really really really love chocolate. I’ll update this post when it’s fully launched and I hope you’ll come and check it out!
Indulge friends! And Happy Holidays!
- 4 ounces fine-quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips (optional)
- 2 to 4 ounces soft caramel, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour an 8x8 square baking pan (or line with parchment paper)
- In a medium saucepan, combine dark chocolate and butter. Melt over low heat, stirring frequently, until completely melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- Allow mixture to cool for about 3 minutes, then add sugar and vanilla and whisk until combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, whisking well after each addition. Mixture should be smooth and glossy.
- Stir in salt and flour until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips until evenly distributed. (optional)
- Pour half of batter into pan and spread evenly.
- Get caramel pieces and spread evenly across surface of batter.
- Cover caramel with remaining batter.
- Bake for 30-33 minutes, or until toothpick comes out with crumbs (not goo).
- Cool brownies completely before cutting into squares.