Hey there – it’s Holly again from Happy Food Healthy Life, and I’m getting so excited for the upcoming conference so I can meet some of my favorite online foodies from all over the country. People I have admired and looked up to for years, I finally get to meet and talk food with you all! One of my biggest passions and I know one of yours.
Until then, I will just need to talk food with you here.
I gotta talk to you about my favorite candy bar. Almond Joy all the way. I love coconut (like obsessively). Of course, I love the almond, but it is a little annoying that you only get one almond. I’d much rather there be a little almond in every bite. And the chocolate. Don’t get me wrong, chocolate is amazing. Duh. But I’d much more prefer dark chocolate over the milk chocolate of an Almond Joy. Basically if you could combine a Mounds bar with an Almond Joy, I’d be thrilled.
So I did what any normal foodie would do. I took matters into my own hands and made it happen myself. Who needs manufacturers to create candy bars when you are completely capable to customize candy to your liking in your own kitchen.
Oh, and here’s the kicker. I even made it a little healthy… without making it TASTE healthy! Seriously! Raw almond butter so the almonds are spread throughout each bite. The coconut is unsweetened. It’s coated in dark chocolate. And I even added a bit of protein powder (totally optional) to balance things out.
5 ingredients. Just a few minutes time. That’s all it takes to make these bites of deliciousness happen. And I have to admit. I actually like them better than store-bought Almond Joys.
If you’re like me and have a total sweet tooth but are trying to stay healthy, you’ve got to check this out. I’ve come up with a ton of HEALTHY DESSERTS THAT WILL TOTALLY SATISFY YOUR SWEET TOOTH. You are going to love them!
- 1/2 cup raw almond butter
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 8 ounces dark chocolate (70% or higher)
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the almond butter and agave together for about 30 seconds. Stir until completely combined. Add coconut and protein powder, mixing until incorporated.
- Roll into golf-ball-sized balls and place on a parchment-paper-lined tray. Once all the mixture is rolled, place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to set.
- When you're ready to dip the truffles, melt the dark chocolate in a microwave safe bowl, in 30-second intervals, stirring in between until completely smooth.
- Drop one truffle at a time into the melted chocolate, covering completely. Remove with a fork, shaking off any excessive chocolate, and place back on parchment paper.
- Place back in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes for the chocolate to set. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Remove from fridge about 5 minutes before eating so chocolate can soften.